Monday, May 5, 2008

Best Teacher & Cookies EVER!!

About a week ago, Aaron was out of town and I was in charge of a PTA event at the school. It had been a crazy week of preparations and I was feeling overwhelmed and exhausted. The day before the event, I was at the school checking on some things and ran into Noah's teacher Mrs. Thoma. She offered to take Jake for me while I finished up what I was doing and I was so grateful for her help. Then, she asked if Aaron would be back for the PTA event the following night. I told her he would not and she quickly offered to help out with the kids! She said she would babysit Lucy and Jake at her home during the event. I was so touched by her willingness to help me and relieved that I would not have to take care of all 4 kids and run this event at the same time. So Friday evening I dropped Lucy and Jake off and headed to the school. When I returned, I was greeted by Mrs. Thoma holding a happily sleeping Jake, and Lucy hiding under the table because she did not want to leave. Lucy showed me all the things she had done including: making and playing with play dough, eating grilled cheese sandwiches, and "working" in Mrs. Thoma's office. She had a wonderful time! Mrs. Thoma gave her the play dough and a note pad that Lucy had been "working" on. She also gave us a bag of cookies to take home. These cookies have to be the best cookies I have ever eaten! After eating almost the whole bag by myself, I asked her for the recipe. So I have listed it below and I will warn you that you will be addicted once you start eating them!
So, thanks to Mrs. Thoma for so generously offering to help me and for making Lucy and Jake so happy while I was away. I truly appreciated the help and the recipe!



Mrs. Thoma's Monster Cookies

3 eggs
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 12-ounce jar creamy peanut butter
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup multi-colored chocolate candies
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup raisins, optional
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal (not instant)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
In a very large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugars. Mix well. Add the salt, vanilla, peanut butter, and butter. Mix well. Stir in the chocolate candies, chocolate chips, raisins, if using, baking soda, and oatmeal. Drop by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not over bake. Let stand for about 3 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool. When cool, store in large resealable plastic bags.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

What an angel! It's people like her that make life bearable, for sure. And I am so excited about this cookie recipe. It looks divine.

Jeppson Clan said...

What a fantastic teacher! I'm so glad she helped you out!
I've had monster cookies before, actually I made some last week. They are fantastic, but I'm going to try this recipe next time.

I also got my swimsuit in the mail and I LOVE it!

Norris Fam said...

Oh man I wish I had one of those cookies right now! What a nice teacher, I wish I had been there to help you too!!!

Brenna said...

what a great teacher...the cookie recipe looks so yummy!!!

Cabin grandma said...

we love Mrs. Thoma! she is amazing. Thanks for the cookie recipe! I will try it next time I have kids to help me eat them!