Friday, December 19, 2008

Patience and Responsibility

On Tuesday I had an MRI done on my hip that has been bothering me since August. I had barely made it home when I got a call saying I was to go get crutches immediately and not to take another step. I had fractured my hip. Doesn't this only happen to the elderly? So I went and got my crutches and on Wednesday I went to see a sports medicine Dr. He showed me my MRI and pointed out that my fracture was so severe that I was lucky it had not broken all the way through. He told me I was to be on crutches for 4-6 weeks with 4 being optimistic. When I tried to explain to him that there was no way I could do this as I have 4 kids and there is snow and ice outside and how was I supposed to get around and how was I supposed to carry Jake, he told me that if I did not stay off my leg, I would need a hip replacement at 29 years old. This got my attention.
My kids have been great helpers. But they are learning that I used to be able to do a lot for them that I just can't do anymore. So they are learning responsibility. It is so frustrating for me to sit back and wait for them to to follow through with what I have asked them to do. But there is nothing I can do to speed them up, so I am learning patience. Jake has learned how to hold onto my crutches and walk alongside of me. And today we had our first outing, me and all 4 kids. Noah did great getting Jake in and out of the car seat and carrying him around. Grace is great at carrying anything I need. And Lucy is always willing to do whatever is needed. I am truly blessed with wonderful children! Hopefully they can maintain this kind of helpfulness for 6 long weeks.

13 comments:

Crowntown said...

Oh Holly! I'm so sorry! BUt on the bright side, you'll have awesome triceps when it's all over and done with. :) Don't forget to keep the muscles in that leg stong with non-weight bearing exercises.

Melanie Rae Gibson said...

Wow! That is definitely a trial of patience! You can do it though! :)

Cabin grandma said...

you are awesome! Way to look at what you and your kids can learn from this bump in the road! I am praying for you!

Cabin grandma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber M. said...

Hang in there, lady! PLEASE call if you need anything...I'll be checking in with you soon!

Brian and Emily said...

What in the world? No wonder it hurt so bad! Take it easy. I'm not sure how that is possible but I'll be thinking of you. I guess I should remember how great it is to be able to walk around!

Allens, Inc. said...

Oh my goodness! This makes me extra sad I don't live closer so I can help, or watch movies on the couch with you while the kids make us meals. Hopefully by the end of this you'll have them so well trained you can just keep on pretending it's broken... Good luck and keep us all posted!

Norris Fam said...

HOLLY! What in the heck happened? Did you fall while ice skating on a romantic date with you hubby? Fill me in PLEASE!!!

OggieDoggie said...

It's so hard being far away and wanting to help, but not knowing how. You do have our thoughts and prayers. If Aaron doesn't help you enough, give me a call, and I'll get after him. Don't cheat on your recovery; we want you well and strong again.We sent the first two bks in the Women of the Old Testament series. Hope you enjoy them.

Melanie Rae Gibson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie Rae Gibson said...

We need a picture of Jake walking with you and your crutches.
I'll be praying that you recover fast!
I wish we lived closer.
This is Wendy, not Mel. I am just on her computer.

Luella said...

Oh my gosh! I kept meaning to ask you what happened. So sorry! I'm so happy you have such helpful kids, though!

Jeppson Clan said...

Poor Holly Bird Ogden. What happened, how did you break your hip? Or is it...personal... :)j/k
I'm so sorry you're going through this, I hope it goes by fast for ya. Do you want me to drive up with my three kids in tow to "help"?